6.21.2009

My Dad

My dad, John, was born in 1954. He grew up in an Irish-Catholic family in West Philadelphia. He and his brothers were some of the very few white kids in the neighborhood. He was the second oldest in a family of 5, though his next youngest brother, Kevin, died at the age of 3.

My dad started dating my mom during his senior year of high school. They kept dating throughout his two years at East Stroudsburg University and his two years at West Chester University. They married the same month he graduated from college with his BA in Criminal Justice. My mom was 19 and he was 22! My sister, Jennifer, was born after they had been married for 15 months. They had a small apartment in Upper Darby and my dad didn't have a steady job yet.

Soon enough, dad found a job at the Haveford Township Police Department and they moved into their first home in Ardmore. A few years later, I joined the family! They had attempted to space Jen and I two years apart, but they had some difficulty and we are 3 3/4 years apart in age. At the tender ages of 23 and 26, my parents had established their young family.

My dad is a good dad. He has always worked endless hours to provide for our family. At home he always worked tirelessly in the yard and on home improvement. He also made time to play with us, to take us to lessons, to attend our events, to volunteer for field trips, to take us to plays and games, etc. My dad has always loved my mom and, though not perfectly, has set an example of what a good husband should be.

This past year I had the joy of seeing my dad baptized at his church in Florida. I love my dad- all that he is and all that he is becoming.

No comments:

A New Season

I haven't had this amount of unstructured time available to me in over 11 years. When Liam was born I worked part-time and finished my m...