This morning I took a prayer walk on Penn's campus. The Lord showed me lots of good things, but one thing I want to share here, that He impressed upon me, is "for the Lord." When I started my work at Penn and realized that both Donald Trump and Warren Buffett had been in fraternities at Penn, I immediately thought to myself, "What if they had used their talents and riches for the Lord? What if, instead of getting rich, building financial empires and broken homes, they used their resources to serve the poor, to feed the hungry, and to bind up the brokenhearted?
This came to me again today as I walked on campus. Students attend Penn in order to attain wisdom and knowledge. But, what if the students not only began to derive their wisdom from the Lord, but also began to use it for the Lord? What if the frat guys who are known for fighting, began to fight for the Lord? What if the sorority women that are known as leaders, began to lead for the Lord? What if the frat guys that have fun, joyful parties, began to be joyful for the Lord? What if the Wharton students used their business skills for the Lord and corporations were run by men and women of integrity?

I am reminded of a talk I recently heard (of course I can't find the notes anywhere). But it went something like this: In Genesis, Jacob is the second-born twin to Isaac and Rebekah. When Jacob, was born, he came out grasping his brother, Esau's, heel. Jacob's name literally means "he grasps the heel." Later, Jacob grasped at, and attained, Esau's given birthright as firstborn son. Isaac gave his Jacob, his youngest son, his blessing and birthright, as opposed to giving it to his eldest, as tradition would dictate. Later, Jacob wrestled with God all night, until God blessed him. For this reason, God changes Jacob's name to Israel, or, wrestles with God. (Read Genesis 25-33 for a better understanding.)
The point is...God has made us all uniquely. He has created us with different gifts and talents and abilities. We can use them for ourselves, or we can use them for the Lord. No matter what, Jacob was a born "grasper." He was stubborn. He wouldn't back down. He was willing to fight for what He wanted. How much better to grasp after God, than to grasp after ___ for oneself.
What about you? Who has God made you to be? What makes you unique, and, are you using it for the Lord?
No comments:
Post a Comment