8.08.2009

Vegan Pumpkin Scones

Last Sunday 3 of my Greek IV students came over for dinner. While they were here they baked pumpkin loaf, using my recipe that they love. They left half a can of pumpkin puree, so I decided I would try my hand at pumpkin scones. I am sure if I had followed the recipe, they would have turned out very yummy, but mid-way through combining the ingredients, I realized I only had half the amount of pumpkin necessary, so I ad-libbed. I'll give you the real recipe, and then my freestyle recipe, which produced really yummy scones!


Original Recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Scones

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tsp ginger powder
  • 1/2 cup vegan margarine
  • 2 cups pureed pumpkin

Preparation:

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and ginger). Cut in vegan margarine, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and combine well.

On a lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times, pushing it into a large circle, a few inches thick.

Cut into 12 or so triangular pieces. Imagine you are cutting a pizza so that you get even, triangular slices.

Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done.

Jamie's Freestyle Vegan Pumpkin Scones

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups flour (half white, half whole wheat)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup vegan margarine
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup apple sauce
  • Handful of raisins
  • Splash of vanilla

Preparation:

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and spices). Cut in vegan margarine, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and applesauce. Combine well. Your "dough" will be mushy--more like cookie batter. Therefore, add bits of whole wheat flour until you have an actual dough. Add raisins and a splash of vanilla.

On a lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times, pushing it into a large circle, a few inches thick.

Cut into 12 or so triangular pieces. Imagine you are cutting a pizza so that you get even, triangular slices. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. (I had to use 2.) Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done. (I baked for 12 minutes)

These actually turned out very well and are best served cut in half with pumpkin butter and coffee. (Trader Joe's makes a really nice pumpkin butter.) Yum!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Jamie those look so yummy! I'll have to try making them sometime. Rich and I are looking forward to having you over on Sunday :)

Jess said...

P.S. I found your blog off of Julie's :)

A New Season

I haven't had this amount of unstructured time available to me in over 11 years. When Liam was born I worked part-time and finished my m...