8.29.2010

Fromage de Mama

So, our little Liam has had quite the tummy trouble. The poor guy only poops once every 3 days...he always has gas...he spits up like woah- like a tsunami of milk and then of curdled milk or- as we like to call it- fromage de mama. He is constantly uncomfortable, and it makes me so sad for him. The doctor didn't seem concerned (or even to care for that matter), but I felt we should do something since he is always in such pain. So first we added prune juice to a breast milk bottle every other day. That has helped somewhat. Then we started keeping him vertical for 30 minutes after eating. That has also helped somewhat. Then I mentioned all of this to my chiropractor who is also a nutritionist. She told me what I didn't want to hear: eliminate dairy from your diet. So, while I might be making milk and cheese (ew!), I can no longer consume it.

And, of course, within a few hours of removing dairy from my diet, the kid has stopped spitting up so much; he pooped not once, not twice, but THREE times yesterday; and has been happy all around. So, au revoir laitier.

Now, I should have made this switch a long time ago for two reasons:
  1. I am lactose intolerant. And even Lactaid doesn't always help.
  2. I think it is insane that we drink cows' milk. Cows have multiple stomach chambers and grow to be 800 pounds. The milk is for baby cows to grow up to be huge and strong and note bene: I don't think even adult cows drink their own milk- so why do we?! Plus, have you ever compared your breast milk to cows' milk? Our milk is more watery than skim cows' milk...so think about how hard it must be for our stomachs to digest even 2% milk or the full fat cheeses that we love so much.
And yet, even though I know all of this, it is still so hard. You can't grow up eating Italian food, having milk in your coffee every morning and eating cereal twice a day and easily part with your dairy products. I loathe soy milk and while I can swallow almond milk, it just isn't the same. However, leave it to caring about the welfare of my baby to help me give up a vice...which leads to the question:
  • Why are we willing to sacrifice things for the sake of our children but not for our own sake?
For example, Why do I refuse to have "bad" commercials or tv on when Liam is in the room, but am willing to watch it myself? Why do I refuse to curse when Liam is around, but do so when he is not? Why do I make sure Liam has his quiet times every day, but fail to make it a priority for myself? Why do I make sure Liam exercises on his tummy each day, but fail to do my own exercises? It seems to me that the real question is:
  • What good are we to our children if we don't take care of ourselves?
Which also makes me think of an article I read yesterday: http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/08/27/almost.christian/index.html?hpt=T2

If we don't live out what we know to be important, like our faith and our health, our children will not embrace it and will not care for their own well-being. So we must, even if we are only motivated by the welfare of our children, take care of ourselves. Perhaps this is what St. Paul meant when he stated:
But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety." (1 Timothy 2:15)
{Probably not, but I never have a clue what that verse means!}

Have a lovely Sabbath, friends!

No comments:

A New Season

I haven't had this amount of unstructured time available to me in over 11 years. When Liam was born I worked part-time and finished my m...