8.01.2011

I cannot imagine...

Cédric Gerbehaye—Agence VU for TIME
Liam was recently sick for a period of two weeks. First he had an ear infection. Then he had an allergic reaction to the medicine he was put on.  We spent a lot of time at the doctors' office and even at the hospital. It is so hard to watch your child uncomfortable and upset. It's even worse when you can't communicate with them to help them understand what is going on.  All I could think was how horrible it must be to have a child who is chronically ill. Can you even imagine spending hours, days, weeks, months, or for some, even years, in the hospital, watching your child suffer? I cannot imagine such a thing.  When we listen to Toddler Radio on Pandora a few of the quintessential THON  songs come on regularly. Every time I hear them I thank God for Liam's health and wellbeing.  I do not take it for granted.

Today I was reading a recent article in Time about the discord in Sudan.  When I saw the above photo I was reminded of the widow and Elijah in 1 Kings.  I didn't give it much more thought until I was preparing dinner and Liam was communicating his hunger to me in a nagging, annoying manner.  I remembered the article and I remembered the widow and I thanked God that Liam's hunger was nothing more than a mere nuisance or annoyance in our household.  Thank God I don't have to watch my child suffer from chronic hunger. I cannot imagine.

No comments:

A New Season

I haven't had this amount of unstructured time available to me in over 11 years. When Liam was born I worked part-time and finished my m...