9.13.2008

Abide in Me

This morning I asked Jesus to show me something new about Himself through the Scriptures. I then read a passage that I never really noticed before:


"When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. But the people did not receive him, because his face was set for Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?" But he turned and rebuked them. And they went on to another village."
Luke 9:51-56
At first, I was greatly amused by James and John's response, as it was an awfully harsh and perhaps outlandish response. As I shared my amusement with Daniel, he pointed out that James and John had said this because they were racist towards the Samaritans. He reminded me that Samaritans are half-Jewish, half-pagan and that they weren't accepting Jesus because He was heading towards Jerusalem. (Jesus had promised the woman at the well, a Samaritan, that a day would come when people could worship anywhere, not just in Jerusalem (John 4), but this time has not yet arrived.)
What struck me about this passage is that Jesus loves the Samaritans and was heading to Jerusalem to die for the world, including the Samaritans. The fact that He wasn't lingering amongst them may have seemed rude to the Samaritans, but He knew His father's will and had to keep in line with the plan. He didn't change His plans to appease the Samaritans. Some might call this tough love. He knew deep down He was doing the most loving thing by going to Jerusalem.
I know that in this situation I would be tempted to prove my love to the Samaritans by being swayed by their anger and staying longer to prove my love. This passage illuminates just how much I am swayed by others' opinions of me and just how much I need to abide in my Father just as Christ abided in Him.

No comments:

A New Season

I haven't had this amount of unstructured time available to me in over 11 years. When Liam was born I worked part-time and finished my m...