9.03.2009

The Day His Heart Rejoiced

This afternoon I was praying and read this verse in Song of Songs:

"Come out, you daughters of Zion,
and look at King Solomon wearing the crown,
the crown with which his mother crowned him
on the day of his wedding,
the day his heart rejoiced."
Song of Songs 3:11

It made me think of a bridegroom when he sees his bride walking down the aisle. His eyes tear up and you can see his chest constrict, as though his heart may burst through the skin and bones and tuxedo. I remember Daniel looking at me this way when I walked down the grassy aisle at Bolingbroke. I also remember seeing him rejoice, not just as I walked down the aisle, but also when we were declared husband and wife, when he sang the song he wrote for me and when we entered our honeymoon suite as a married couple.

I realize Jesus sees us this way, too. He rejoices in us and will rejoice even more on the day we are presented to Him as His pure and spotless bride.

For all intents and purposes, I think women get the better end of the deal on the wedding day: elegant up-do, beautiful gown, gorgeous flowers, etc. But for this reason, that the man can understand the joy of the bridegroom, I am envious of every groom out there who has rejoiced in his bride. I would love to understand Jesus' heart for me in that way.

The Scriptures tell us that we love because God first loved us. I believe, in marriage, this is true as well. I love Daniel because he first loved me. In fact, he told me so after only a few weeks of dating. When he declared his love for me, I immediately told him, "No you do not! You don't even know what love is! If you think you love me already, you really have no idea what love is." I was wrong. He did love me. And he continues to love me so sacrificially. And as a result, I love him.

I can't imagine having a God that I first loved and had to chase down. I would never be sure if He really loved me for me, or if He just liked the adoration. I would never know if He loved me because of what I do, instead of because of who I am. I wouldn't be sure if He would stop loving me when I messed up.

Though the bride is dark, the groom considers her lovely..."like a lily among the thorns." He looks past her shortcomings and sees only unique beauty. That he is becoming united as one with her causes him to rejoice.

No comments:

A New Season

I haven't had this amount of unstructured time available to me in over 11 years. When Liam was born I worked part-time and finished my m...