5.18.2013

What's in a Name?

I always knew people would have differing opinions of Maggie's given name, Magnolia, but it was never more obvious than it was in the hospital this past week.  We had so many people coming and going in our hospital room and each had a different, and strong, reaction to her name.

"So this is Magnolia?" "Yes, but you may call her Maggie." "Oh, good; I like that SO much better than 'Magnolia.'"

"So this is Magnolia? I LOOOOVVVEEEE that name!!"

"Magnolia! Sugar Magnolia! She's sure to be a Dead fan."

I never even knew that Sugar Magnolia was a Grateful Dead song, but leave it to a nurse from Berkeley to fill me in!

I like unique names, but I had a hunch that people would have strong reactions to her name, which is why I was hesitant to give her this name.  So why did we?

When I was a few months pregnant Daniel had a dream that we named our daughter "perseverance." Now, given that we are not characters in The Pilgrim's Progress, that name simply would not do.  However, I did some research and tried to find names that meant perseverance or at least a synonym thereof.  We came up with nothing, that is, nothing except names in Sanskrit and other languages obscure to our native tongue.  I am partial to flower and herb names, though (Rosemary, Violet, Lilly), so I did a little botanical research and discovered that the magnolia tree/flower is thought to embody perseverance, as well as nobility and purity.  We also discovered that magnolia trees bloom in the Bay area in February, right around baby girl's due date.  This was odd to us East Coasters who are accustomed to seeing magnolias in May.  All of this really jived with us and Daniel was especially sold on the nickname "Maggie."  I also liked the name because I love the movie Steel Magnolias, Daniel copied the Magnolia soundtrack (which I love) for me when we were dating, and I always loved my next door neighbor's magnolia tree.  Also? I like that it is a little bit old-fashioned, a little bit hippy California-girl.

However, I still wasn't totally sold on naming our daughter Magnolia for a few reasons.  First and foremost, I loved the name Marilla (a la LM Montgomery's Anne tales).  Secondly, I knew that her name would bring on strong reactions, especially from those who might think her name sounded like that of er- a lady of the night- shall we say.  So I made a deal with myself. I said, "Self, if you check into the hospital and there is a blooming magnolia tree outside your labor and delivery room, you shall name your daughter Magnolia." And what do you know? We checked into our hospital room and low and behold, there was a white blooming magnolia right outside our window.  And so she was named.  Not only that, but on our first day recovering in the hospital what did she and I watch on TBS on the in-room tv? Steel Magnolias of course.

I am so glad we gave her this beautiful name. It is unique and lovely. She is a charming little baby girl. Already very social, full of smiles and dimples and now giggles.  She was a delight to all the nurses and doctors in the hospital, smiling even though sick and hooked up to an IV.  We know and believe she will embody and live up to all that her name means, just as Liam is already living up to his name, which means "noble protector."

Finally, you might hear me call her "Magnolia Mae" or "Maggie Mae," but her real middle name is "Elaine" after my grandmother and mom who both have that middle name. It means "light."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love both "Maggie" and "Magnolia." As a southerner, when I hear the name Magnolia I see beautiful, wide-open blooms and remember lazy summer days playing with my cousins. And "Maggie" is just a joy to hear! Sounds inherently cheery and bright. So glad you guys are home and healed up now. : )

Laura Joyce Davis said...

What a beautiful post about your beautiful baby girl! Thanks for sharing, Jamie!

A New Season

I haven't had this amount of unstructured time available to me in over 11 years. When Liam was born I worked part-time and finished my m...